Sunday, March 1, 2009

Germany Trip Week 3

This was a good week here in Dueschland. The weather is warming up a little. Yesterday it was about 45 degrees. Our work at the plant went well this week. We built 2 heckwagons or rearfloors. We will have some of our management team here this week so we tried to get some organizational things finished this week also. Enough about work already. I heard an interesting philosphy about german life. It goes like this. In Germany people work hard, save their money, buy a house and drink a good glass of wine. Simple but I think its a good philosphy. On Saturday we went to an old town about 1 and a half hours drive north. It is referred to as a gem of the Middle Ages. Rothenburg is the name of the walled city. It has a wall that encompasses the entire perimiter of the town. The wall is about 70 feet tall and has access towers at each corner to allow you to walk along the wall under a covered walkway. The Tauber river runs along one border of the wall and the view is breathtaking. The first castle was built there in A.D. 970. The Imperial castle was built in 1142 but was destroyed by earthquake in 1356. About 40% of the city was destroyed in 1945 during WWII. As you can imagine the old buildings and cobblestone streets are amazing. There are of course small shops, museums, restraurants and hotels throughout the city. It was a very enjoyable day. Wish you all could have been there with me. Today we went to visit the family of one of our german trainers from 2004. He and his family lived in Tuscaloosa for 3 years. They have 2 girls, 5th grade and 8th grade. We ate lunch with them. Talked and walked and then ate dessert and coffee, not me of course, I mean the coffee part. It was a very enjoyable visit. He asked if any of our wives would be coming and he invited us to come back to visit again. His name is Jenz Herter. Well I miss you all and have enjoyed getting blog replys. Its all new to me. Please tell all the grands hello for me. I love you all. See you soon. Dad.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you added that you didn't partake of the coffee! I was worried for a minute. No, I'm kidding. I wish we could have been there with you too. That city sounds amazing. You'll find out when you talk to mom, but we have snow here too! Mom says that you sent it to us from Germany. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have had snow first, but I bet you didn't get to make any snow cream. Mom made some today. Maybe it will still be good by the time you get back. (If there's any left!) You know how things go around here. Miss you! Thanks for the snow, the girls had a blast, and yes, we have pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed the snow as well, although it went as fast as it came. Maybe you should teach history when you retire from Mercedes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That castle sounds amazing! Sounds like you are really enjoying the site seeing part of your trip! I agree with Mary, you remember way, too much of all the dates and wars and stuff. All that would go in one ear and out the other for me! Baseball is going well...it's cold but fun. Hudson starts soon and Evan is growing fast! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why I am having so much trouble leaving a comment. I have tried all week!
    That castle sounds amazing but makes me sad that I will probably never see anything like that! Girls-I'm thinking he probably has some kind of brochure with all the info. on it!
    Did you walk on that wall? Chris would be terrified! Glad everyone is being friendly and you have people to hang out with! Keep on posting! we love to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete