Sunday, February 22, 2009

Germany Week 2

Well, hello everyone. Week 2 is complete and all is well. My sleep patterns are back to normal and I feel more rested. Our work at the plant is a little different from last time. Some of us are working in building 16 while others are in building 7. Last time we were all in building 7. I am assigned to building 16 which is about a 20 minute walk from where we have our morning startup meeting. It has been cold each morning and we are wide awake by the time we make the walk. About 5 or 6 of our group have been sick with colds, etc. so far I have been feeling good. I am building the heckwagon or rear floor in Z1 which has about 1200 welds. We finished our second floor on Friday. The weather has been cloudy and rainy and snowy this week. We had about 2 hours of sunshine all week. We had about 1 more inch of snow last night. Saturday we went to Hohenzollern Castle which was about a 1 hour drive from the hotel. When we arrived at the castle there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground. It was very cloudy so the view from the castle grounds was limited. From the parking lot to the castle it was about a 1 mile walk up the hill on a walking trail. It was very cold outside and inside the castle as well. My feet felt like a block of ice before we got back to the car. Hohenzollern Castle is the ancestral seat of the Prussian Kings and German Emperors. It ranks among Europes most famous and popular castles. It was built during the 15th century and the present owner is a direct descendant of the royal family 32 years of age. One of the activities that is very popular here is faushing. Faushing parades and parties are held in most of the small towns around here. This is the same as mardi gra back home. Even the children dress up in faushing costumes simular to halloween costumes. I hope everyone is doing ok. Tell all the grands I love them and will see them soon.

6 comments:

  1. I have to say, Dad, that all that snow and cold and walking doesn't sound a bit of fun to me. I'm glad you're sleeping better and that you haven't gotten sick. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Ashley on that one. But, I'm glad to hear your doing well. ANDY GOT A JOB!! He's working at Double D Electric and liking it so far. We are so blessed. Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! I really realized that you were gone on Saturday when we were at the Women's Conference and you were not there helping with the activity like you would have been! I miss you!
    I CAN NOT imagine all that snow! I hope you have some warm shoes to wear! I'm surprised they don't have some kind of golf cart type thing you can ride in to get to your building at work. Oh well-the exercise is good for you! I hope you stay well.
    The castle sounds amazing and Sydney Kate would be all about dressing up for the parades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it's a little late, but things have been crazy on my end with the house and all. It's sounds like you're enjoying yourself. I would actually love the snow as would Shelby. Hope you stay well! The girls miss you! I'll let you know more about the house when I do.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s you could have actually got a picture where you could see Kaitlyn's face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you are dealing with all that cold! I mean, you wear 5 layers of clothes when it's 60 degrees here :) Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete