Sunday, March 15, 2009

Germany Week 5

Well, well, well. Week 5 is complete already. Things at work are going well. We had a little bit of a lull this week waiting on some new parts to come in, but that was ok with me. Yesterday I went with Barry Clayton who is an engineer from Tuscaloosa to Stuttgart. We went to the Mercedes Museum. We traveled there by train from Goldberg station just outside of Sindelfingen. We spent 3 hours in the museum. I have just one word for it. Unbelievable. It is a new museum opened in 2006, 8 stories tall, cylindrical in design. You take an elevator to the top floor and walk down one level at a time. It was filled with all sorts of mercedes vehicles from cars to fire engines to trucks to buses, etc. It also contained information about the social period and history of each era as you progressed through the years. When you buy a ticket for the train system it is good for the entire day. So on the way back we rode up to a small town to the north called Herrenburg. There was a beautiful old Catholic church built about 1267, a lot of old buildings, shops, etc. We stayed there about 2 hours, all the shops had closed at 2 p.m. so we decided to go back again some time. Sunday Jenz Rudigar picked me up at the hotel and took me to have lunch with his wife and 2 children. He has 1 boy age 11 and a girl age 8. They are both adorable and speak good English. They went to Holy Spirit school when they lived in Tuscaloosa. We had a very good meal and took a walk through the woods and after about 20 minutes we were at the Ritter Sport factory. We went through the small museum and learned about the origins of the company. They were perfect hosts and have invited Anne and I to come back for a barbeque in June. I hope everyone has been doing well and I miss you all. Will see you soon. Love, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Why do I cry everytime I read your blog? I DON'T KNOW but I do!
    The museum sounds really cool and again so glad you have nice people that open up their homes to you. Sounds like you and momma are going to have plenty of people to hang out with when she goes to Germany.
    So, have you eaten any really good food while you have been there? Tell us about that!
    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My internet has been down, so I just now read your blog. I'm glad you have so many friends to hang out with. The rain finally ended today and we got some sun!! Colt loves to be outside. He can ride a bike, but can't walk! I finally got the lump in my eye taking care of and we are all well. Miss you, love you.

    ReplyDelete