Monday, July 6, 2009

Germany Update Week 4 2nd Trip

When I returned to work on June 10, I was assigned to work at Holzgerlingen. While I was back in Tuscaloosa they moved rear floor to a new location. It is a warehouse building Daimler is leasing from Johnson Control. It is about a 20 minute drive from the hotel and I drive there by myself each morning in a new CLK. The work is going well. It is hot in the building, no air conditioning. But not nearly as hot as in Alabama.

After work on Friday I went to a nearby Beergarten with 10 German guys from work. 2 of them spoke a little english, but most didnt. Even though I could not understand everything that was being said, we all had a great time. No I didnt have any beer just a coke with no ice. I was honored that they invited me to come along.

I was invited to go with Thomas Supper and his family to a benefit festival on Saturday. On my way to his house I was listening to Armed Forces Network, a radio station broadcasting in English out of Heidelburg. To my surprise they broke the story about the killings in Gaffney. Unbelievable.... I had a great visit with Thomas, his wife Suzanna and 2 girls. We had a treat at the festival called onion cake. It is cooked in a metal pan like a deep dish pizza pan and cut in slices like a pizza. It was served hot right out of the oven and was very tasty. I also had a brotwurst and a couple of cokes.

On Sunday I went back to Triberg and Lake Titisee with some guys from work. We went to the clock shop where I bought the grandfather clock back in 2004 and bought some parts for the clock and a gift for all you girls. We walked up to the top of the waterfall which was quite a hike. It is the highest waterfall in Germany and was once visited by Earnest Hemingway. There were lots of people at the lake. Swimming, boating, sightseeing, eating and all manner of good times being had by all.

We are planning to go to the Eagles Nest next Saturday. Looking forward to it. Love to all. See you in 4 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. OOOOH...what kind of treat? I know you've probably talked to mom but in case here's an update. We won our game Fri night, lost to the Nationals Sat and won our 2 games sun. We are in the losers bracket but hanging in there. Our first game tonight should be a tough one but hopefully we can pull it out and finish a little higher in the tournament. Have a great rest of your trip! Love you!
    Valoree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tell me you are going to start drinking your coke with no ice! GROSS!
    Again-so great that you are getting to visit all these neat places~

    ReplyDelete